Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hooking Up

Well... this was an interesting topic to discuss in class. Although it was kind of awkward I'm very glad we talked about this, because some people need to realize what this kind of thing can do to someone. The conclusion I came up with after we discussed this in class,  was that people who just want to hook up with someone do not want to commit to a relationship; however they want the physical "benefits" that come with a relationship. It honestly confuses people, specially girls! Girls already have enough things going on through their heads, and this would just bring over-thinking things to a whole new level. Now, I'm not saying that girls are innocent when it comes to hook ups, because some do initiate it; but the majority of them get trapped in this box of confusion. I'm going to talk from a girl's perspective here. A couple of years ago, one of my friends had her first kiss, which was unfortunately, a hook up. They hooked up one day, and she never heard from the guy again, saw him a couple of times after that, but he didn't even bother to say hello. So, you can't tell me that that wouldn't confuse someone. Another thought that came to mind is that, maybe that is why LDS men are dating less and not getting married for a while. Some of them are too busy hooking up with girls and that's it! You might tell me "How do you know?"; well I see these things at school all the time. I'm a very observant person and anyone can see the difference between a couple who are in a relationship from 2 people who are just messing around. Hooking up has become part of the new generation, people who just want to have "fun" do it and therefore a lot of people are involved. I'm from southern California and going to high school there, well I heard that word pretty much everyday. For me it's sad to see that we are starting to forget the courting, dating, and being in a relationship. I think that today's generation is so focused on being independent that, hooking up, is the only thing that won't tie them down to a person, so they can just continue on with their lives. I'm very old fashioned, and this will sound cliche, but the things that people do while hooking up are very sacred and special things that should be shared with a very special person; not just something that you can give away like it's nothing.  Hooking up can damage people, emotionally, mentally and maybe even physically. When people hook up, they are showing how little respect they have for themselves and each other. Hopefully this hook-up culture that is going on today, will one day find its end and people will go back to the old ways, where people got to know each other, dated, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment